Friday, February 18, 2011

My Martial Arts and Stretching

Stretching

A martial artist should be fit. Too many times I have attended martial arts events and seen so-called black belts who had huge bellies hanging out over their belts. Or others that were winded after putting on a uniform. And yet others who could barely touch their knees let alone their toes.

I think, as martial artists, especially if we claim to be black belts, we should have standards and be an example to "civilians".

Even though I no longer have a martial arts school or hold the position of an instructor in any capacity, I still wear the labels "martial artitst' and "black belt" if only for the fact that I ran a martial arts organization locally for years. And even if no one knew, I still would try to represent the arts as best I could. And it's not like I go around telling everyone what a badass martial artist I am, there are people who have known me for years who have no idea that I'm a black belt or ran a martial arts studio. But I know...

Okay enough ranting. A martial artist should have strength, flexibilty and endurance, at least in some measure. Period.

All that being said, I swear by the triangle of fitness: strength training, cardio and stretching. I've talked about strength training and cardio so it's time to discuss stretching.
  • Stretch often! For the sake of efficiency I combine stretching with my other workouts.
    • During my strength training workout I stretch between sets. These are typically my more extensive stretching days, just because I have many sets so more opportunities to stretch.
    • During my cardio/ kickboxing workout I stretch between rounds. I only have a few opportunities to stretch on these days so I pick one stretch that catches as many muscle groups as possible and repeat that one during the workout.
  • Stretch statically. A static stretch means that you get into position so that the muscle is stretched and hold that position. No bouncing!
    • If you're 35 or younger holding each streatch for 30-40 seconds should be fine.
    • If you're over 35, hold the position for at least 60 seconds.
  • If you have the luxury of time, do as many different stretching exercises as possible. Time is my enemy so I only do a few positions that work as many muscles at a time as possible:
    • Squat stretch: I squat down and roll my back so that I'm in a squat position with my back hunched over. This stretches (to some degree) my back, calves, quadriceps (top of thigh) and the back of  my thighs.
    • Leg to the side, toes up. From the squat position I put a leg out to the side with my toes pointing up. I turn my chest toward my foot and lean toward my knee, keeping my toes pointed toward the ceiling, stretching the back of my thigh, calf and back. Of couse, I do both legs.
    • Semi lotus: sitting on the floor, sot of like the lotus position except that the soles of my feet are touching each other and pulled in as close to my body as possible. I try to use my elbows to push my knees to the floor, while pulling my chest to my feet. This stretches my inner thighs, quadriceps and back.
    • Straddle stretch: I sit and spread my legs as wide as I can and lean my chest torward the floor, keeping my back straight. This stretches all kinds of stuff--back, inner thighs,back of thighs, calves. Whenever I'm crunched for time and can only do one stretch, I always pick this one.
      • If I have time, I'll turn my chest toward my leg and pull my chest toward my knee, stretching my torso, back and hips
      • Also, if I have time, I'll bring my left hand over my head  and try to bring my right ear to my right knee and, of course, vice versa. This stretches my sides and hips.
    • Standing stretch: From the squat position, I straighten my legs, keeping my hands on or near the floor, again stretching my back, calves and  back of thighs.
  • Here is what they all look like:




So there you go, that's what works for me. What works for you may be different. Different body types may  require different routines. Doesn't matter, do something! Stretching is one of the most beneficial of exercises, keeping muscles, tendons and ligaments pliable and joints heathly and efficient. Stretching also reduces the risk of injury. And stretching  helps to keep you young. More about staying young in a future post.

By the way, the pic at the beginning of the post is of me doing the straddle stretch. Not bad for a 58 year-old guy, huh. Some people will say "oh he's just naturally flexible." BS to that! I work my ass off to stay flexible, if I take a few weeks off it goes completely away and I can't even touch my toes.

Remember, stretching is a part the three point fitness system: strength training, stretching and cardio for strength, flexibility and endurance. You need all three. So stay balanced damn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment