Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Combined Arts Training and Tactics: Basic Stance

The C.A.T.T. basic stance looks like this (that would be the picture at right).

I also call this the natural fighting stance. Natural because that's what it is--if I dropped my hands it would sort of look like I'm just standing there, not aggressive, not looking for a fight, just standing there, all natural-like.

This is the stance I use to launch my kicks and punches. Both hands and feet can easily be put into play from here. I can move in any direction--to the front, back and both sides with equal ease.

Elements of the basic stance:
  • Weight is equally distributed on both feet.
  • Feet are positioned at about shoulder-width.
  • Front foot is pointed toward opponent. If you drew a line from my front toe, it would split the middle of my opponent's stance. I just have follow the direction of my front foot to land a perfect jab.
  • Rear foot is pointed at an angle, away from opponent (for traction and preparation to turn the hip into a roundhouse or side kick).
  • Knees are slightly bent.
  • Hips and shoulders are directly over the feet.
  • Lead shoulder is pointed slightly toward opponent (easier to defend than facing completely forward which opens up vital target areas. Also puts your jab closer)
  • Hands are up--rear hand as high as your eyes, front hand just below eye level, pointed at target (nose, most likely).
  • Elbows are close to the body (ready to fire a quick elbow strike or to tuck in tight in order to absorb a body shot).
  • Chin is down and tucked in, eyes centered on opponent's chest (easier to see all peripheral movement and not be distracted by antagonist's eyes).
When I was a Tae Kwon Do and tournament fighter, I used a more sideways stance, so I could utilize a quick kick from my front leg or a fast backfist. For self defense and real fighting, I like to open up a bit more, keeping my "guns forward", that is, all my weapons in a position to easily and quickly fire.

This is not my only fighting stance, by any means. If it looks like the other guy is going to shoot in, I may get wider and lower for stability, prepared to fight off a takedown. And If I have a weapon in my hand, my stance will be quite different.

But this is the basic stance, the first stance, and everyone that learns my system would have to understand it completely, with all of its subtleties and nuances.

Here's an example of striking from the basic fighting stance:

Next: Hand strikes.

1 comment: